- Faculty Coffee Hour (October 15th and 24th)
- Halloween Lunch (October 31st)
- Corn Maze (TBD – late October)
- BESA Presentation/BME 201 (October 6th)
- San Francisco Trip (November 17th)
- Exploratorium? $19.95 per person with group
- Also see Golden Gate among other things
- Hiking Trip + Social (TBD)
- Apple Hill Trip (TBD)
Discussion of the meeting is below.
- Potluck went well with a good mix of mentors and mentees
- Can use Facebook as a list of who attended
- Ice cream social went well to get PIs out
- 88 people signed in
- $15 under budget, so popsicles are a better path than ice cream
- BBQ had a good mix of activity and talking
- Need more veggie burgers and less normal burgers (by 10-15 burgers)
- 77 people showed up
- Financial Planning
- 15-17 people
- Maybe do once a quarter
- One planned in January for taxes
- Mentor Program: nothing currently planned right now. Maybe a movie night or something in December
- Meetings will be regular, per the quarter
- 2 – 3 pm first Tuesday of every month
- November 6th
- December 4th
- Skype meeting for those in Sacramento that are unable to come to Davis
- A separate conference room in Sac for those
- 2 – 3 pm first Tuesday of every month
Refill off-shore with Liz
- Beer glasses
- Sell at Halloween Lunch and as a prize for costume contest
- T-Shirts: a contest for design set to conclude at the end of the quarter
- Business Cards to be discussed with first years during Tima’s talk
- As an aside not relating to the budget, please place receipts in a folder with other BESA stuff. The folder has “$$$” on it.
- BMEGG Retreat is planned for 10/12 – 14
Academic Discussion with Tima
- @ 4 pm after BIM 202 followed by a pizza party
- Date, time, presenter?
- Reserve the times and see if people sign up for it
- Will be seeking out people more than before
- Combine with the faculty lunch idea (some opinions for and against were discussed leaning towards not until further discussion)
- Can use a judging rubric to help critic presentations
- Start in November as October is the costume lunch
- Which lab starts? Everyone, ask your PIs and senior lab members if they would like to give a ~15 min talk about current lab work. The focus is enhancing collaboration.
- Friday, October 15th 9:30 – 10:30 am GBSF 4202
- Randy Carney, Dr. Carolynn Patten, and Dr. Diandi Wan
- Wednesday, October 24th 10:30 – 11:30 am in GBSF 3202
- Sanjeevi Sivasankar, Dr. Lucas Smith, Dr. Wilsaan Joiner
- Backup activities: draw questions from a hat
- Have a coffee hour with staff (a well-received idea likely to occur in November)
- Please send Laney faculty you would like to see be at one of these events.
BMEGG Monthly Newsletter
- Submit BMEGG upcoming events ASAP
- Departmental/Academic Events
- Social Events
- Relevant Seminars
- Google event link for BESA meeting and social events
- Recent publications from various professors
- Brady to post Newsletter on social media
- Please format and give all details to be included when submitting information.
- Date and location are set: April 26, 2019, at the UC Davis Conference Center
- 6 nominations!
- Need to decide who to invite (first invite to be sent out this month)
- Whenisgood to come as an RSVP and planning the time
- Price increase to $15/person
- Draw from GSA Fund rather than Non-campus fund of $150
- Total funding will be divided by the number of participants
- Adoptable dogs from Yolo County SPCA (instead of therapy dogs)
- Not usually a problem, but this is closer to the original idea about GBSF students/staff bringing their own dogs from home (which had opinions against)
- Could contact Student Health & Wellness for therapy dog point of contact
- Dogs from SPCA will be adoptable
- Possibly invite vet med students who might be also interested in adopting a pet
- Weather permitting (as it is in December)
- Undergraduate mentoring- In contact with members of BMES and meeting with them on 10/4. Plan to have Q&A panels, mentoring, etc. (suggestions?)
- Sheldon High School Design Project Mentor: Still accepting volunteers. If interested email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- River City High School knee replacement activity- TBD, contact has not responded
- Antelope High School biomedical innovation project: Starts mid-October, contact will give more details closer to the date.
- Money has increased from $50 per sport to $15 per person
- Nothing BESA planned for the fall. There are some things going on individually
- Maybe set funds aside and divide funding depending on what is decided
- Bring up this with the Dean?
- Enrage undergrads to fight this injustice with us?
- Should it be broken down into time dedicated to each or a mixture of the two at the same time?
- Mixture allows time to have classes and work on research
- Splitting allows professors not to pay for additional classes that possibly does not benefit research directly
ABET coming by to check out GBSF
- Should clean up labs, communal, BESA outreach spaces
- Will be cleaning up drinks in hallways and in corners, so make sure to keep track of your stuff for Nov 5th and 6th
Join us on Slack!